Monday, February 18, 2013

The Fruit Hunters

[September 2009] My mouth watered for some of the delicious fruits the author described in this book. However, my mind quickly become bored with the disjointed narrative. This is not so much a book, but a collection of essays edited together to appear like a book. The author clearly had to go to great lengths to probe some of the 'rare' fruits of the world. In doing so, he uncovers many of the reasons we are deprived of tasting these (government, industrialization, commercialization, etc.)
At times I was wrapped up in an enthralling narrative. Then suddenly the book shifts gears to something totally different, with no connection to the previous text. Thus, I found myself reading a big chunk of the book at a time, then letting it gather dust for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment