Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Basics of Genetics


Basics of Genetics does exactly what is advertised. It presents a comprehensive overview of the basics of genetic principles. It does not go overboard in to the detailed minutia of modern genetic theory, but does provide a solid grounding in the "evolution" of genetic thought.

Having spent significant time immersed in advanced genetics scholarship, I was not expecting much from these lectures. However, I was pleasantly surprised. She did an excellent job of explaining the basics in an easily understandable manner (with plenty of analogies and examples.) I came away with a much clearer understanding of things that I thought I already understood, as well as knowledge of ideas that I "took for granted" rather than trying to understand. The analogy of the "Rube Goldberg cookie making machine" is still stuck in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment