Friday, January 14, 2011


Internal desire and creativity is motivating. For jobs that require some independent thought it is best to give people the freedom to carry out things they see fit. For these tasks, giving external incentives could backfire. (A case in point is the artistic value of commissioned artwork.) Traditional incentives are, however, still valuable for repetitive tedious tasks.

The book presents a valid point and advocates a new "motivation 3.0" methodology to help increase motivation. However, the book also rambles on for too long, and could easily present the same content in a short essay. There are some good examples (such as Best Buy's schedule-less work environment.) However, even these examples seem to be repeated from different angles. The author also seems to be a little too serious about himself and his topic.

Creative freedom is highly motivating. If the base level of compensation is appropriate, the better position would allow people to thrive and productivity to increase. This does not seem like groundbreaking material. Basic corporate environments have been moving in this direction for some time. About 20% of the book does a good job of presenting the background of motivation theory and the reasons for adopting the creative motivation in our modern society. The remaining 80% is repetitive filler.

No comments:

Post a Comment